adventure254

« »

Wednesday, February 22, 2012

OF SNAKES AND BITES: BIO-KEN SNAKE FARM

Many of us fear snakes while others hold them in some superstitious ways. However, I have come to learn that not all snakes are scary and…visiting snake park is fun too. So when I read about Bio-ken Snake Farm, ‘it kept me thinking,’ bearing in mind that I fear snakes more than any other animal…actually than any other thing.
Bio-Ken Snake Farm
According to bio-ken.com, Bio-ken is a research centre, that deals with reptiles especially snakes and snake-bites…There are about 127 different snake species in Kenya. Of these only 18 have caused fatalities and only 6 could kill. Another 10 could cause a lot of pain and the remaining 93 or so are neither venomous nor dangerous.
The farm is a non-profit organization along the Kenyan Coast, about 2km north of Watamu village on the main road. It was established by James Ashe, a reptile expert and former curator from the National Museums of Kenya. It has around 200 snakes of different species. It plays a major role not only on Kenyan coastal tourism but also internationally with some of the world’s leading snake research authorities on snake bite treatment.
'a reformed snake'
At Bio-ken, they produce venom for anti-venom purposes. You can also learn how to track, catch and release snakes. They have a collection of African ‘Big Five’ snakes;
  • Python
  • Cobra
  • Puff Adder
  • Boom slang
  • Mamba
Other snake farms along the Kenyan Coast that I know of include; one snake and crocodile farm near Malindi Marine Park and Francis Ngombo Snake farm near Gede. Have a snaky day! But do I say!

5 comments:

  1. noel me liking your madness...I thought we only had Nairobi Snake park

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi.
    i am planing of opening a snake farm in the kenyan coast soon. this i a very good article and hopefully i will visit the above mentioned snake farms and learn more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, thats great and awesome, looking forward and keep us posted

    ReplyDelete
  4. am starting to get ideas on how I will tour the area and do a snaky story. Noel, I don't fear snakes, I freak out when they are mentioned

    ReplyDelete
  5. haha, Esther, have come to discover how many of them are harmless,

    ReplyDelete

About the Author

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...