adventure254

« »

Wednesday, August 24, 2011

ALUMNI EDITION : SEVEN DAYS OF A CAMPUS ROVER

 MONDAY
The early worm gets caught, so I wake up late thanks to my recently acquired Mulika Mwizi alias the CDF phone. Its alarms rang a few minutes before 9 O’clock. My head rumbles with Monday blues. I’m still mourning the loss of my Chinese blackberry that committed a major seppuku last week. Unlike being in Chep, Chep for Chepkoilel University College, situated at the northern anal of Sixty Four (Eldoret), I have little worries about breakfast, by now mother must have prepared some. Being a seasonal glutton of a rare caliber, I duck into the kitchen unceremoniously and wrestle down a mug of gruel accompanied by a chunk of last night’s ugali, a tough combination that will keep my intestines wagging like a restless dog’s tail. Now that HELB is no longer at my disposal, I have to rush to my Uncle’s, a stone’s throw away from home, for some domestic loan if not a grant depending on his mood today. Even though hangovers are evident from the looks on his face - the aftermaths of last night’s bottle - he is as generous as Angel Gabriel and offers me a grant that might work out some miracles this week. 
I rush to the bathroom for some Mejja bath (like the one Mejja does in his video Landlord) a.k.a a passport, the cat and mouse game with water to save ‘Nairobi Water’. Minutes later I’m done and on the way to town. The problem with Mondays is that everyone in town seems to be in her or his own world. No one even cares to commend my sharp dressing, an Indian dungaree supplemented by a Somali shuka. I look like a scare crow. With me is an envelope stuffed with my credentials in case a job opening opportunity presents itself anywhere any time. I pass by some friends and then to Mama Owino’s food kiosk for lunch. She serves me some ugali in manageable pieces accompanied by some fish esophagus and soup. This soothes my intestines till early evening when I duck into Meru Embassy alias Jobless Corner, the Muguka Kiosk for some latest news, rumors and propagandas from my rural home county. For your information, at Jobless Korna conversations are usually in-form of questions that rarely get answered and, or wishes. For Example Gits a.k.a Gitonga has always wondered, “Ati ni prophet mgani aliona vision 2030?” (Which prophet saw Kenya’s vision 2030?) Whereas Odhis wishes,“Kusota ingekuwa biashara, ningekuwa billionaire.”(If being broke was business, I would be a billionaire.)
I catch a sickly looking Mathree and head back home at 8pm. In the blankets by 10pm, I rest in peace with all my wares intact to wait for a roving Tuesday.
From the Seven Days of a Campus Rover by Noel Mutugi.
Tuesday continues next week.


No comments:

Post a Comment

About the Author

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...